Monday, 14 March 2016

My Favourite Banana Bread


Since arriving for my exchange in Brighton, I've made banana bread 3 times. Just to clarify, my exchange only started in February. I need to bake, is that too much to ask? Thank God my flat has a real kitchen! I've tried a few different recipes over the years but this one is my all-time favourite. I don't like banana breads that are light - there's not enough flavour in it for me. They are too muffin-like. This one is dense and packed with bananas. Seriously - I normally get 6 bananas in it!

It's a hugely popular recipe on AllRecipes and for good reason: the bread is incredibly moist, uses brown sugar (always the best in my opinion), is very simple, and has a great taste!

Banana Bread

2 cups     All Purpose Flour
1 tsp        Baking Soda
1/4 tsp     Salt
1/2 cup    Vegan Butter, melted (or normal, unsalted)
3/4 cup    Brown Sugar
2              Eggs
2 1/3 cup Bananas (usually 6-7 medium-sized)
1 tsp        Vanilla
Optional add-in: 1tsp cinnamon. I don't always use cinnamon but it just depends on what flavour I'm looking for!

Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Line a 9x5in loaf pan with parchment paper. Sift the first three ingredients together in a large bowl.
Cream together butter and brown sugar until blended. Mix in eggs, mashed banana and vanilla until combined.
Fold wet ingredients into dry and stir until the dry is all mixed in.

Bake for 60-75 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. I usually alternate racks - first half in the top third and second half in bottom third. Keep in mind that when testing to see if it's finished that the knife may be a little wet from hitting a banana piece! Use your judgement :) 

I leave it in the pan for about 10 minutes then place it on a wire rack to cool. I said it before, but this bread is so dense so it takes a long time to fully cool. It takes mine well over two hours (I can't give an exact time because I've usually cut into it by the 30 minute mark haha). 

I'm eager to try this recipe as a base for French Toast! One of my favourite cafes in Florida has a mouthwatering Banana Bread French Toast and I'm dying to make it.


P.S. I know this picture doesn't really show what the bread looks like inside, it's just the only one I have!

This recipe was adapted from Banana Banana Bread recipe on AllRecipes. Thank you, Shelley!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment!! Thanks for visiting :)