Wednesday, 25 March 2015

(Vegan) Blueberry Scones



One thing to know about me is that I love blueberries. Love. Love. Love. I'll eat them frozen or fresh, anywhere, anytime, any place, any form. Dare me if you wish! Another thing to know is how much I love wheaty products. I don't really include wheat (anymore) as a regular staple in my diet, but I don't avoid it like the plague either. I'm always down for a big batch of waffles or cookies or cake or cupcakes or... You see the point. But I know I do feel better when I eat it less often so I adjust my diet. 

There's a restaurant/bakery down in Venice, Florida with the best scones. I could write a novel about how delicious every single item on their menu is (like their wraps, coconut cake, and...everything else), but for now I'll stick to the scones. They seriously are a gift to the world. People will wait outside before open to grab a batch and the kitchen often runs out of them. My favourite is the blueberry scone with Devonshire cream and it is always served fresh and warm. 

Around last semester I sort of stopped buying and eating dairy products (for me that included milk and yogurt), so I've been looking for ways to make some vegan-ish foods. I religiously check Minimalist Baker - I wish I could eat their pictures (that sounds strange... I know). But there are some recipes I love that I don't want to change or substitute for a different recipe, so I've been playing around with other ingredients. 



Over the summer I made an amaaaaazing blueberry scone recipe and today I veganized it! It turned out exactly like the original and I kind of want to eat all of them now... There are 16 scones though so I suppose it may be best so save them for finals. 

Ingredients

4 C flour
6 tbsp sugar
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C and 2 tbsp Earth Balance cold
2 flax eggs (*see below)
3/4 C almond milk
1 C blueberries (fresh or frozen, but do not thaw if using frozen)
2 tbsp almond milk

*1 flax egg is 3 tbsp water mixed with 1 tbsp ground flax. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.

Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 375 F.
  • Combine (sift) the dry ingredients in a large bowl until fully mixed. Cut in the cold butter and mix with hands until the mixture resembles crumbs. Whisk the milk and flax eggs together. Add egg-milk mixture to the large bowl and mix until the dough is just moistened (you may need to use it all, or you may not - pay attention!). Do not over-mix the dough and stop when it is just moistened! 
  • Add the blueberries gently so that they don't break. When I use frozen, they almost always dye the dough blue but they still come out fine - don't worry! 
  • Flour a surface and break the dough into two balls. Place the balls on the floured surface and knead into circles. Cut the circles into 8 pieces and place onto a greased pan or one lined with wax paper. 
  • Use the 2 tbsp of milk to brush over the scones gently. 
  • Pop them into the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden around top and/or edges (mine took 20). Allow them to cool for just a few minutes and enjoy!!

They would also be lovely with powdered sugar or a lemon glaze on top!

This recipe was adapted from Taste of Home's Blueberry Scone recipe

2 comments:

Feel free to leave a comment!! Thanks for visiting :)