Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Winter Necessities

Winter on a coast has a completely different meaning than my normal winter definition. Yes, slush is normal. But weeks fluctuating between 10°C and -10°C (...and down to -20°C) are not within my normal. Therefore, winter attire has evolved for me. Walking most places also affects wardrobe choices. 
Here are some of my winter necessities in Halifax!

Warm Winter Coat
I do love wool coats. They are gorgeous and make a wonderful statement. However, they will not suffice for winters where temperatures drop below 0. Okay...maybe they will. But you really have to bundle up. Well. I recently got the Arlington Down Jacket in black from Roots and I know it will serve me well for many years to come!
Sturdy, Weatherproof Boots
As a child, I'm almost positive that the only boots I wore were Cougar. They were perfect for tobogganing and playing around in the snow. I remember a pair of pink ones I had that I loved! Getting all bundled up with bright snow pants and matching jackets was always so fun...Taking them off not so much. I'm sure my parents felt the same way! 
But at school where I don't have a car, a good pair of boots is necessary to avoid cold, wet feet. I have the UGG Adirondack boots in beige and they are the best! My feet have never gotten cold and I never fear walking through snow. Highly recommended! Even though they are pricey, they will be worth it for the many years you get with them. 
Crossbody Bag
This really isn't a necessity, but I think it's nice not to have something to carry. I wear mine all year long, but I find especially in the winter when I want my hands in my pocket or in my gloves, swinging something across is perfect.
Turtleneck
Do I even need to explain this? Cozy and it covers your whole upper body. Yes please.
Cabin Socks
Every Canadian has a pair of Roots Cabin socks. Male or female. They are just what we need for winter time. So cozy :)
Weatherproof, Non-Winter Jacket
In cities where weather can turn on a dime, it's useful to have a jacket that will function without making you feel like you're in a sauna, or making you feel like you still need to layer up. I have a few coats that are great for days when it's hovering around 0 and you don't quite need the full on warmth yet (but a raincoat still won't cut it).
Rain Boots
You never really know if there is going to be snow, slush, or puddles on the ground in the morning in Halifax. Which is why I believe in the importance of rain boots. A few weeks ago there was nearly a foot of snow on the ground at 9am, but by 2pm that fresh dump was turned to slush. It was horrendous. Okay... there are way worse problems than this. Such a first world problem. But still, thinking you are stepping into a centimetre of water and actually stepping into a 6 inch puddle is nooo fun.

Here's hoping for some consistent weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment!! Thanks for visiting :)