Saturday, 6 December 2014

Drink Up!

It's become a phenomenon over the past few years: green smoothies. I've been drinking them for a few years and can proudly say that I have turned some friends and family members on to them (whether or not they've stuck with them is another story...). Nevertheless, my number one, no-fail recipe for beginners or non-believers is a Blueberry-Mango smoothie. It is my favourite smoothie recipe! It also uses spinach as opposed to kale so the taste isn't nearly as strong. 

Green smoothies are a great on-the-go drink - in the summertime, I would take five minutes to make one before I left for work at 7:45, pour it into a mason jar, and drink it on the way! I know this may sound cheesy, but I firmly believe that people do feel good after drinking one! That's not to say I wouldn't rather a buttermilk waffle with maple syrup, berries, hot fudge sauce, and whipped cream some mornings (okay, most mornings). BUT, this recipe isn't so bad either ;) I have a Magic Bullet at school and it is perfect for me. The single serving size allows me to take it on the go and is also much easier to clean. 

Because this recipe uses a large blueberry portion, it turns out purple! Nice for people who are turned off by green drinks. 

Mango Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
1 cup Spinach (or any other green, i.e. kale)
1/2 cup Water 
1 cup Blueberries 
1/2 cup Mango   **make sure at least one of mango and blueberries are frozen
1 Banana
slice of lemon (seeds and peel removed)

Blend together spinach and water until smooth. Add in blueberries, mango, banana, and lemon. Blend until smooth. If the frozen fruit is not blending, add more water (measure 1/2 cup, then add in intervals until smooth). Enjoy!

A great website for recipes is Simple Green Smoothies. They have tons of recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment!! Thanks for visiting :)